Monday, March 17, 2008

'Dawgs do The Improbable! The Unthinkable! The Unbelievable!'

(The quote is courtesy of Scott Howard's call of the SEC Championship game today.)

Yes, I am a fair-weather Georgia Basketball fan. I'll admit it without a problem. I follow Georgia basketball enough to know whether they're doing well or not. BUT a GEORGIA BULLDOG through & through. It's a sad testament, perhaps, but I'll be honest: as a sport, I just don't like basketball that much. Nothing against Felton or Gaines or Bliss or Humphrey or Swansey or Jackson, etc., but b-ball just ain't my thing. Because of my Dad and my uncles, I should be a basketball fiend, but . . . but . . . OH, right . . . GOOOOOOO DAWGS!!!!!!!

I had said earlier that I just didn't have faith in the whole thing, somewhere along the lines of the comments that I'd made before the 2007 UF game (I wanted us to win the Cocktail Party/SEC Tourney. I was praying we could win the Cocktail Party/SEC Tourney, but the faith wasn't there). Indeed, other bloggers mentioned something about Georgia making it to Saturday being meaning monkeys were flying out of butts somewhere.

BUT what just happened HAS to be one of the most ridiculous accomplishments in sports history (Granted Coppin St., a 20 loss team, making the tourney this year is pretty remarkable as well), but THIS is the SEC, and whether it's a down year or not, winning 4 in 4 days is remarkable, not to mention 2 wins in 1 day. Oh, and the tornado, and winning on Teck's home court!!! I'm sure there are a few other impossibilities that you could add to the list, like winning more SEC games in a week than the Dawgs had all year. Just UNREAL.

Enter some kind of stupid miracle . . .

SOMEHOW, the Georgia BULLDOGS are the most (again to use Scott Howard's word) 'improbable, unthinkable, unbelievable' Champions of the Southeastern Conference!!!! Good GOD!

Cut down the Jackets' nets! Take the Trophy back to Athens! Come see me in DC!!!

If I can find a way to get a ticket for the NCAA Tourney game on Thurs against Xavier, I'll be there with bells on. Hell, I might even paint my torso or something crazy like that! (Ok, don't hold your breath on the torso paint thing.)

And, if you get a chance or have access to Scott Howard's call of either the Semi or Final game, get it and listen to it. I love Larry Munson. But I tell you, Scott Howard's gonna do JUST fine. Give the man the job when Munson steps down. The last four minutes were classic, clearly a Munson disciple and not scared of being a homer unlike so many DULL-AS-HELL 'objective' announcers these days who don't give the score, have no emotion, and well, just suck.

Anyway . . . I've just got 2 words . . .

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCC '08
Washington, DC (apartment)

No comments: